The XDS pumps are an innovative design which use a bearing shield to isolate the vacuum environment from all forms of lubricant, not only making it totally dry, but hermetically sealed. The shield also protects the bearing from any process vapours.
Gas ballast allows vapour to be handled and opens up the range of applications to many that were previously unsuited to scroll pumps. The XDS10 pump is designed as a dry option for general laboratory applications including backing turbo pumps. It is also used with electron microscopes and mass spectrometers.
Scroll pumps use intermeshing fixed and orbital scrolls to form non-contacting, crescent shaped gas pockets that are continuously compressed by the orbiting action. This means that, unlike oil-sealed rotary pumps, there is no sealant or lubricant required in the swept volume of the pump.
- General clean pumping applications
- Beam lines and high energy physics
- Backing turbo pumps
- Load locks, fume hoods and glove boxes
- Degassing/curing - oil, epoxy resin
- Freeze drying
- Gel drying
- Laboratory bench top vacuum
- Lasers, gas recovery and recirculation
- Leak detectors, Helium
- Load locks and transfer chambers
- Rare gas recirculation
- Rare gas recovery
- Refrigeration manufacture
- Research and development
- Rotary, centrifugal evaporators
- SEM/FIB (ion beam repair)
- Solvent recovery
- Surface science instruments